Veggies – the first thing that comes to mind as soon as we hear this word is bland, boring and not a whole lot of fun. Veggies have no taste, no flavor, no aroma and most times they do not even look appetizing. All said and done- get ready for a BIG surprise – veggies can actually be a lot of FUN. In order to celebrate Vegetable Day on June 17, here are some quick and easy ideas that will take veggies to a whole new level. The best part is your kids can help prepare these dishes so get together in the kitchen and make tonight a veggie family night.
1. Veggies on a stick: Chop up a variety of vegetables like red, yellow and green peppers, squash, mushrooms, eggplants and cherry tomatoes. Season with salt & pepper and drizzle with some olive oil. Bake in the oven or throw them on the grill for a healthy, nutritious side dish.
2. Veggie garden: Cut some cucumbers and tomatoes in circles. Wash the green beans and take stems off. Arrange cucumbers in a cluster on a plate and add pretzel or carrot sticks for the trunk. Lay the green beans towards the edge of the plate and top with tomatoes circles to create flowers. Throw crumbled feta cheese on top and enjoy a delicious, healthy snack.
3. Rainbow on pizza: Dice tomatoes, egg plants, peppers and mushrooms. Layer pizza crust with marinara or pesto and pile with diced veggies. Add mozzarella cheese for extra flavor and bake in the 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
4. Ribbon Salad: Cut a medium size cucumber half crosswise and peel into thin strips. Whisk 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon canola oil, 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon honey, salt, and pepper. Toss the dressing with the cucumber and some toasted sesame seeds and Viola! You have prepared ribbon salad in five minutes.
5. Stuffed mushrooms: Bake 12 mushroom caps at 425 degrees for five minutes. Sauté 1/2 cup chopped mushroom stems along with minced garlic in hot olive oil on medium heat until tender. Remove from stove and stir in 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs, 1 chopped fresh Roma tomato, and 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese. Fill caps with mixture and bake for additional 8 to 10 minutes.
All these yummy recipes are sure to make you hungry. It’s time to get into the kitchen and start chopping up some delicious vegetables. And if you are thinking chopping veggies sounds time consuming, take a look at our kitchen gadgets that are fun to use and will cut your chopping time in half, especially this Miracle Peeler. Enjoy the video below to see how easy and fun peeling vegetables could be.